January 1st is only days away. With it will come a massive wave of social pressure to sit down, dream big, map out your future, and then relentlessly hustle and bend every aspect of your life to make those goals happen.
But we're not falling for that this year. We think there's a better way.
Unrealistic, untethered, shame-motivated goals are a cultural epidemic. We ourselves know all too well what it’s like to put pen to paper, get our adrenaline pumping, cross our fingers with the hopes that somehow it’ll be different this time—and then have unforeseen higher priorities come in and wash away all of our wishful thinking.
We’re done with goal setting systems that pump you up, introduce massive tension between your goal and your daily responsibilities, and then leave you feeling like a failure.
Time is too precious for that! As home-loving wives, mamas, and entrepreneurs, we needed a goal setting system that was mercifully realistic, embraced our other responsibilities as valid, and was deeply rooted in our broader life callings. The ROOTED Goal Setting System was the fruit of that quest.
For the past two years, we've been developing this system to help woman set lasting, sustainable, and life-giving goals. This is an entirely new way of thinking about goal setting (you may remember it was the topic of one of our podcast episodes this past fall).
What is the ROOTED Goal Setting System?
ROOTED Goals are...
- Rooted in your core calling - Other goal setting systems start by asking what you want for your life. This system starts by asking how you’re uniquely called as a disciple of Jesus to show up in the spaces of the world where He has placed you.
- Organically growing out of your context - Other goal setting systems tell you to close your eyes and imagine where you want to be in 5-10 years—to dream big!—then to reverse-engineer and hustle and grind to make that dream come true. This system grounds you in reality by helping you figure out the logical next right step for your real life.
- Outlined for clarity - Other goal setting systems do encourage you to outline your goal for clarity—and there’s a reason for this. Our brains crave step-by-step clarity. This phase is all about being specific about your goal and breaking it down into actionable steps.
- Tailored to your lifestyle - Other goal setting systems might show you how to reverse-engineer your goal, but then they end there and wish you good luck. This system shows you how to look at your goal in the context of your daily life, and then make strategic shifts in your schedule in order to make space for this goal.
- Etched into your memory - This phase gives you the secret sauce for making progress on your important goals—even when things change. When you train your brain to care about your goal, your subconscious joins the team and starts looking for every reasonable opportunity for you to make progress.
- Developed by Providence - The Kingdom of God does not rise and fall by the successes and failures of our goals. Knowing this gives us an incredible amount of liberty to simply follow the Lord’s leading through the messy middle. Leading our lives with integrity and excellence is a deeply meaningful endeavor, and God loves to give us the grace to do that. Having a Christian growth-mindset allows us to set our goals with an “amen” posture towards God’s unknown plans for the future, knowing that when we give our goals back to God, we can trust Him to develop them in the best of ways.
Over the next several weeks, we are going to be diving into each part of the ROOTED Goal Setting System. If you're craving a goal setting system that creates a symbiotic relationship between your daily life and your goals, creates space for personal growth, and helps you channel your productivity in a way that cultivates peace—then you will love the ROOTED Goals System. With this system, you can start to craft a lifestyle that not only sustains but actually fuels the vision that God is growing in your heart.
Yesterday we launched our brand new ROOTED Goals Workbook which takes each phase of the ROOTED Goals System and makes it actionable in your unique situation. Click here to learn more about setting lasting, sustainable, and life-giving goals!